Monday, September 20, 2010

PE3 WordPress


Now that I have researched the WordPress Web tool, I want to think a little more about how I would actually implement it at work.  I work in Admissions at Full Sail University, and my department has grown considerably over the last few years to keep up with the growth of the entertainment industry.  My goal is to create an online forum for my team to bond with each other.

I think that before I actually implement this, I would definitely need to pay to customize the layout and appearance.  While I like the look of the blog aesthetically, there is a lot of unused space on the sides and the toolbar at the bottom is a little jumbled looking.  I suppose I can get to fixing that if I can get approval to actually employ this idea.

I would like the key areas of focus for this blog to be personal updates, industry and company updates, and tips.  I want the content of the blog to be largely user-driven with my role being more of a moderator.

For personal updates, I can share upcoming birthdays, parties, babies and marriage news.  I can encourage the reps to upload pictures to share with each other.  We’ve also got many musicians and artists on staff that I would encourage to share their band updates with the team.  Its always fun to discover the hidden talents of your co-workers!

For the industry and company update portion of the blog, I would like to share special events that are happening at Full Sail, such as concerts or guest speakers.  Additionally I would like to post any Admissions updates such as degree or policy changes.  Currently, we email updates to the team and have meetings, and while that is good, I think it would be even better to reinforce the news with links on a blog.  Additionally there is a Full Sail Blog account for all the online programs that I would want to link to this area of the blog.

The last section of the site, I want to be tips that they share with each other.  Full Sail has a lot of reps that have worked in the industry for decades and have a wealth of knowledge.  It would be great for them to be able to share that with some of our newer reps.  My idea is that I can post a thought, and then request tips and feedback.  For example, I could post “When talking to High School students, what do you recommend they do to get ready for an entertainment career?”  The reps might answer with anything from recommending students read Rolling Stone, to recommending that students practice reading music.  It would be fantastic to hear them share with each other!

Full Sail Website, News Section
I’m going to continue to brainstorm ideas for this company blog idea to take flight, and if you have any thoughts, please leave a comment for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment