Thursday, September 2, 2010

BP1_Google Reader

In this blog, I am compiling several news feeds to sites that are relevant to my mission: to motivate and inspire.  I hope that through researching these sites and staying current, I will discover new ways to connect with my trainees.

As the trainer for the Admissions team at Full Sail, it is very important that I stay up to date with the latest technology.  Full Sail is one of the most technologically advanced institutions in the world, and I hope to be able to understand and stay on top of new media trends.  I chose CNN Technology News, to help me accomplish this, knowing that CNN is a trusted and reliable source.  Their feed includes everything from reviews on the latest Apple products to articles on video games as art.

Full Sail University from the sky!

My next site, I chose for two reasons.  First, I work for the largest film school in the United States, so its pretty important that I stay up to date on any film industry news.  Second, knowing fun facts about movies is a great way to relate to my training class.  Having knowledge of their interests helps build our relationship so that they feel comfortable coming to me with questions.  I chose Movie News, http://www.comingsoon.net/, to help me accomplish this.

Next, I chose a site that will help me understand more about sales.  While college admissions is not sales, I think that there are some valuable lessons on customer service that I can gain from researching sales.  I chose the site, Sales Training Advice, http://www.salestrainingadvice.com/, for this.  With names of articles like "Your Buyer Is Smarter Than You" and "Emptying Your Sales Trash," this site offers the potential for great information with a fun twist.

Recently, I've become very interested in incorporating games into my training.  In the beginning, I would do a review of everything we had covered so far, with a list of questions and asking random people around the room.  While I think it was helpful, it wasn't the most interesting way to review.

Since then, I've incorporated either a Monopoly or Jeopardy game as a review.  I use Monopoly for smaller groups and I found Jeopardy works for the larger groups.  With these two games, the amount of information the trainees retained literally doubled!  It gave them something to look forward to throughout the week, and the fake money was enough of an incentive to want to win.  I would like to incorporate more games into my training and hope to discover some new ideas by following The Games Learning Society, at http://www.gameslearningsociety.org/.

Maybe I can add Bingo to my training next!

My last feed that I chose to follow is the Department of Education, http://www.ed.gov/.  There are many changes on the horizon for higher education and my goal is to stay as updated as possible.  By keeping up-to-date with law changes that can affect students' lives, I can be a valuable resource for my new hires and current employees who work directly with our incoming students.


I look forward to sharing what I have learned as I research and dig deeper into all of these sites.  Thank you for taking this journey with me!  Have a wonderful day!

Maia


Colleen Francis, (2010, July 14).  Retrieved from http://www.salestrainingadvice.com/2010/07/emptying-your-sales-trash-by-colleen-francis.html

Hunter, Mark, (2010, Aug 8).  Retrieved from http://www.salestrainingadvice.com/2010/08/your-buyer-is-smarter-than-you-by-mark-hunter.html

No comments:

Post a Comment