Monday, September 20, 2010

PE1 WordPress


I’ve chosen WordPress to research because I think it could be very helpful to have an online blogging community within my office.  In the last few years our department has grown to about 65 employees and with this many people, its hard to maintain the close family feeling that we’ve always had.  I want an easy and convenient way for our staff to share news, thoughts, and tips with each other, without taking the time for a giant meeting.

I started my research by watching lots of tutorials on Lynda.com.  There was a lot of good information, and the tutorials were not nearly as dry as I expected.  I learned a whole bunch, but I will share with you only the ones that were the most interesting to me.

First off, I learned how to manage the settings of the blog.  The Privacy feature was particularly interesting to me because I need to make sure to keep company information confidential.  I was disappointed to find out that when an account is marked private, only 35 users will be able to access the blog.  I can upgrade my account and be able to have an unlimited number of users, but nowhere in the tutorials does it say how much the upgrade costs.

For the appearance of the blog, the theme seems fairly easy to change, there are lots of themes available that you can search based on colors, columns, and even widgets.  It’s also very easy to upload an image for your “Gravatar,” which is WordPress’s lingo for the blog avatar.  I was surprised to find out in the tutorials that its possible to upload pretty much anything for your Gravatar and can then rate it G, PG, R, or even X.  I certainly have no intention of having an X rated Gravatar, but I thought it was odd that anyone would really want that!

I also now feel comfortable with how to add links, audio, video, and widgets.  It seems like WordPress really tries to make it easy for the user!  My next blog post is going to be my discovery process as I sign up for and learn additional features for my WordPress blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment